Thursday 2 February 2012

Buildings/Architecture.

Although most of my photos are to do with nature, I still find some buildings intriguing. Unusual buildings. Unique buildings.
The photo below was taken on a very misty day in the depths of Cornwall. Not much colour but the composition makes up for that I think.

Carn Galver Mine, nr. Zennor, Cornwall. 11/07/2009.

Trumpan Church (below) on the Isle of Skye is a very special place. It is almost in the middle of nowhere - I suppose that's not really surprising on the Isle of Skye, pretty much everywhere is in the middle of nowhere!
The story behind this ruined church goes that 2 clans, the MacDonalds and the MacLeods had a bit of a falling out. They didn't usually get along: land disputes, etc. In 1578, the MacDonalds waited until all the churchgoers were inside - mostly MacLeods - and burnt them alive. One MacLeod managed to escape and tell the story which lead to a retribution of the MacDonalds. All of whom were killed before they managed to escape the island.
I have a few more photos of this eerie place so I'll upload them another time.

Trumpan Church, Isle of Skye, Scotland. Aug 2011.

The next photo is from the same trip to Scotland. We took a day trip to the Outer Hebrides and visited Dun Carloway Broch, Callanish Stones and Stornoway. I loved it! Perfect for my interests! Below we see Dun Carloway Broch; the Iron Age broch, half standing and creating a perfect photo opportunity.

Dun Carloway Broch, Lewis, Outer Hebrides, Scotland. Aug 2011.

Next item was taken on a walk from a campsite in Devon to Lyme Regis & Charmouth. We camped for the may bank holiday in 2010. This beautiful thatched cottage/mill was right beside the path and of course I had to stop to take a picture!

Thatched Cottage, nr. Lyme Regis, Dorset. May 2010.

Off to the seaside! I love St Ives. Something about it. It screams Cornwall! There are so many photo opportunities and if you're interested in art, there is the TATE St Ives and the Barbara Hepworth museum, also her old house. The workshop is how she left it. The sculptures amongst the trees and bushes in the garden. A lovely day out, especially travelling by train from St Erth. I can't get enough of it!
I'll do a post later on this week devoted to St Ives and the pictures I took when on a school Art trip back in 2010. The tide was out in the harbour so I went down with a friend and took some snaps. Stay tuned!

Backstreet St Ives, Cornwall. 13/09/2010.

Ah, one of my favourites. Probably my Cornishness shining out. Tin mines, everywhere! That's Cornwall, right?
This was a walk along from Calstock to the mine was beautiful. I've done it twice. Once in the Autumn and once on Boxing Day. Both times very so different I got completely unique photos of the same shots. It was also the first time I saw the Fly Agaric mushroom. I got a picture of that. I am ashamed to say I have forgotten the name of the mine. If anyone knows please comment and let me know!

Mine, Calstock, Cornwall. Oct 2010

Moving on to Cotehele (National Trust). A lovely place to walk near me. I did some work experience there back in the summer (of 2011) doing conservation work. Very tiring but at least I saw parts of the land that nobody else has a great deal of knowledge about. I now know more walks around the area and I think I may get a few good photos on a nice sunny day. This was taken on a late November evening. The sun was going down and the light from the window was shining through the trees. A lovely sight.

Window Light, Cothele, Cornwall. Nov 2010.

Back to the Isle of Skye. This photo was at Milovaig near to where we were staying. There's a beach there which is fantastic for beach combing. I loved this door so much and together with the brickwork makes a nice composition.

Storehouse Door, Milovaig, Isle of Skye. Aug 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment